Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from the Moosewood cookbook, halved and with a slight change. It is so good, I make it almost every week!
- 1 1⁄2 cups bulgur
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups green bell peppers or 2 cups red bell peppers, diced
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons tamari (a soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine or 2 teaspoons other red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 3⁄4 cup cottage cheese or 3⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Soak bulghar in boiling water during prep time (~15minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease small casserole dish with 1/2 tablespoons of butter.
- On medium heat, saute remaining butter and chopped onions until soft.
- Stir in mushrooms and peppers, and heat through (3-6 minutes).
- Add tamari, sherry, marjoram and salt and pepper (to taste), then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix cheeses and beaten egg together.
- Put bulghar evenly in casserole pan.
- Cover with pepper mixture, then cheese mixture and dust with paprika.
- Bake 40 minutes, uncovered.
I like this a lot! I've made it as written before, but it also stands up well to ingredient replacements (e.g., rice for bulgur, cheddar for feta). Thanks for sharing this recipe.