Recipe by Folk Dancer
This is a salad for people who love onions and olives. You might want to use Vidalia or Maui onions for a slightly sweeter flavor. The preparation time includes time the onions and cucumber stand. The recipe comes from "The Best of Slavic Cooking" by Alojzije Kapetanovic and Ruzica Kapetanovic.
Top Review by Merlot
A wonderful tasting salad and so easy to make. I love onions and olives and this really hit the spot. The secret to this salad is in Step #2. Actually, I let the onions and cucumbers stand for over and hour. Thank you Folk Dancer for sharing this "winner". I look forward to trying your other recipes. :-) (By they way, you two look like a fun couple).
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the cucumbers and cut them in half lengthwise, then cut into slices.
- Salt the cucumbers and the onions separately and let stand for 30-45 minutes.
- For the dressing, mix the vinegar, paprika, olive oil and garlic.
- Drain the cucumbers, and combine them with the onion, green pepper and olives.
- Pour 2/3 of the dressing over the salad and toss.
- Place the sliced tomato on top and drizzle remaining dressing over the tomatoes.