Recipe by MariaBright
This is a fast, delicious, nutritious recipe for lentils. You can have it plain or spicy and hot, you can add veggies or just do with the lentils.
Top Review by Rätsel Feinschmecker
Very tasty, 2 cups of lentils makes enough to feed an army though- if its just you and husband/wife, you may want to cut the recipe in half. I used 1/2 paprika and 1/2 Hungarian hot paprika to give some added punch to the recipe. Other than that, it was delicious, easy, and will be on my menu again! :)
- 473.18 ml brown lentils
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5-6 clove garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 paprika (capsicum, bell pepper)
- 2-3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 7.39 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml dried fenugreek leaves
- 14.79 ml mixed herbs (thyme, mint, etc.)
- 2 green chilies, with seeds (optional)
- 4.92 ml chili powder (optional)
- 14.79 ml flour (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place lentils in a pot with ample water, a dash of oil and boil.
- Chop carrots and onions and place in the pot.
- Chop tomatoes and capsicum and place in the pot approx 15 min after you put the carrots.
- Add spices and peeled garlic cloves except fenugreek and garden herbs.
- Let cook slowly until the lentils are cooked.
- Sprinkle garden herbs and fenugreek, turn off burner and cover with a lid.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve with sour cream/yoghurt.
- You can also chillify it a bit either by adding green chillies or a tsp of chilli powder.
- For a thicker consistency you can dissolve a tbsp of flour with the soup in a bowl and slowly add 5 min before cooking is finished.