1/1 Photo of Bulgarian Lentil Soup
This is a fast, delicious, nutritious recipe for lentils. You can have it plain or spicy and hot, you can add veggies or just do with the lentils.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 1 1/2 onions, chopped
- 5 -6 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 paprika (capsicum, bell pepper)
- 2 -3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs (thyme, mint, etc.)
- 2 green chilies, with seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flour (optional)
- 1Place lentils in a pot with ample water, a dash of oil and boil.
- 2Chop carrots and onions and place in the pot.
- 3Chop tomatoes and capsicum and place in the pot approx 15 min after you put the carrots.
- 4Add spices and peeled garlic cloves except fenugreek and garden herbs.
- 5Let cook slowly until the lentils are cooked.
- 6Sprinkle garden herbs and fenugreek, turn off burner and cover with a lid.
- 7Salt to taste.
- 8Serve with sour cream/yoghurt.
- 10You can also chillify it a bit either by adding green chillies or a tsp of chilli powder.
- 11For a thicker consistency you can dissolve a tbsp of flour with the soup in a bowl and slowly add 5 min before cooking is finished.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bulgarian Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.5
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 10.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried fenugreek leaves