Tasty spread on dark bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs eggplants
- 2 medium sized green peppers, roasted, peeled and de-ribbed
- 1 medium sized firm ripe tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped*
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1*Drop the tomatoes into boiling water for 15 seconds, then peel off the skin. Cut out the stems and cut the tomatoes in half crosswise. Squeeze the halves to remove the juice and seeds, then coarsely chop the pulp.
- 2Roast the eggplant in the following fashion: Prick it in 3 or 4 places, then impale it on a long handled fork and turn it over a flame until the skin chars and cracks. Or, pierce the eggplant, place it on a baking sheet, and broil it 4 inches from the heat for about 20 minutes, turning it so that it chars on all sides. Wrap the eggplant in a damp towel for 5 minutes, then peel off and discard the skin. Cut the eggplant in half, chop it fine, and mash the pulp to a smooth puree. Similarly, mash the skinned and de-ribbed green peppers.
- 3Combine the eggplant and pepper puree in a deep bowl. Stir in the oil and vinegar a tablespoon at a time, then beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth. Add the chopped tomato, parsley, garlic, salt and a liberal grinding of pepper, and continue to beat until all the ingredients are well mixed. Taste for seasoning and refrigerate until chilled. Serve mounded on a platter as a first course or spread on dark bread as an accompaniment to drinks.
- 4A Quintet of Cuisines Time Life.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bulgarian Eggplant and Pepper Spread (Kiopoolu)
Serving Size: 1 (1176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.9
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3505.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.5 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 5.3 g