Recipe by Caryn Gale
This salad is so easy, colorful and perfect if you are growing cherry tomatoes.
Top Review by Mymble
The Bulgarian cheese mentioned is called sirena, and it is a feta cheese. It's sometimes sold canned in brine, as described, but you can also get it at cheese or specialty markets. You can soak it in fresh water to reduce the saltiness in the cheese, and that's also still good in salads.
- 200 g bulgarian cheese (In Israel this is sold in a cube covered in water and is very firm)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 12 -15 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the cheese into small bite size cubes.
- Place in large bowl or container and add the washed and halved cherry tomatoes.
- Gently mix in chopped basil and black pepper to taste.
- Drizzle with olive oil and stir gently.
- Serve immediately.
- To serve as an Hor D'oeuvres, using toothpicks, place a cheese cube in the middle of the toothpick with a cherry tomato half on each side of it.
- Mix the olive oil, pepper and basil in a bowl.
- Drizzle over the top when placed on serving platter.