Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad is so easy, colorful and perfect if you are growing cherry tomatoes.
Make and share this Bulgarian Cheese and Tomato Salad or Hors D' Oeuvres recipe from Food.com.
- 200 g bulgarian cheese (In Israel this is sold in a cube covered in water and is very firm)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 12 -15 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut the cheese into small bite size cubes.
- Place in large bowl or container and add the washed and halved cherry tomatoes.
- Gently mix in chopped basil and black pepper to taste.
- Drizzle with olive oil and stir gently.
- Serve immediately.
- To serve as an Hor D'oeuvres, using toothpicks, place a cheese cube in the middle of the toothpick with a cherry tomato half on each side of it.
- Mix the olive oil, pepper and basil in a bowl.
- Drizzle over the top when placed on serving platter.
The Bulgarian cheese mentioned is called sirena, and it is a feta cheese. It's sometimes sold canned in brine, as described, but you can also get it at cheese or specialty markets. You can soak it in fresh water to reduce the saltiness in the cheese, and that's also still good in salads.