Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
aka kafta, kofta, koefta. Served on crusty rolls or country-style bread and reportedly a popular snack in Bulgaria. Not to be confused with Arab kufteh which is grilled ground lamb kebabs or meatballs. Source: Steven Raichlen.
- 8 ounces ground veal
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat grill to high.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl; stir to mix with a wooden spoon (test the mixture for seasoning by sauteing a teaspoon of it in a nonstick skillet until cooked through, then taste, adding salt, pepper, or cumin to the remaining mixture; should be highly seasoned).
- Divide the meat into 4 equal parts; lightly wet your hands with cold water, then form each portion into a patty 3 inches across and about ¾ inches thick.
- When ready to cook, oil the grill grate; arrange burgers on the hot grate and grill, turning with a spatula, until nicely browned on both sides and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately.