Recipe by Engrossed
From “North African Cooking” by Hilaire Walden.
Top Review by Chef kstrange
This is so good. This was our dinner even though we are not vegetarians. it's so fresh and yummy. I didn't have all the ingredients so I used parsley instead cilantro, green freshly picked pepper instead of roasted red, I cut some onion greens from the garden instead of using scallions, and I omitted the cheese since I'm pregnant. After the baby is born I'm totally making this with all the ingredients listed. I can't wait to make this again. Thanks
- 1 1⁄2 cups bulgur wheat
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 roasted red pepper, peeled and sliced
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped (green onions)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- oil-cured black olive, to serve (optional)
- lime wedge, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the bulgar wheat in a large bowl, add the boiling water and leave to soak for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork, until the water has been absorbed.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice and seasoning.
- Pour oil mixture over the bulgar wheat, add the herbs and mix well.
- Then mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and chill until required.
- Stir in olives just before serving if desired.
- Serve garnished with lime wedges.