Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From “North African Cooking” by Hilaire Walden.
- 1 1⁄2 cups bulgur wheat
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 roasted red pepper, peeled and sliced
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped (green onions)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- oil-cured black olive, to serve (optional)
- lime wedge, to serve
- Place the bulgar wheat in a large bowl, add the boiling water and leave to soak for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork, until the water has been absorbed.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice and seasoning.
- Pour oil mixture over the bulgar wheat, add the herbs and mix well.
- Then mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and chill until required.
- Stir in olives just before serving if desired.
- Serve garnished with lime wedges.
This is so good. This was our dinner even though we are not vegetarians. it's so fresh and yummy. I didn't have all the ingredients so I used parsley instead cilantro, green freshly picked pepper instead of roasted red, I cut some onion greens from the garden instead of using scallions, and I omitted the cheese since I'm pregnant. After the baby is born I'm totally making this with all the ingredients listed. I can't wait to make this again. Thanks
I picked this in TAG to use up some bulgar I had in the freezer and was pleasantly surprised as this salad is very filling and delicious even though I skipped the red pepper and olives (out of both). Thanks for sharing!