Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This comes from the ancient city of Bukhara
- 2 cups rice
- 1 lb lamb or 1 lb beef
- 2 lbs carrots
- 1⁄2 lb raisins
- 4 onions
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice, for kazakh and uzbek recipies from recipe of the same name
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Cover rice in water for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cut meat into pieces, chop onion, sear in a little of the oil. Add carrots and fry until carrots are reddish brown. Add raisins.
- Place all this in a large pot and add water, salt, and spices and stew for half an hour or until water evaporates. Add rice and enough water so that the water level is 1 inch over the rice.
- Bring water to a boil. Lower heat, add remaining oil, cover and simmer about half an hour until water evaporates and rice is fluffy.