1/5 Photos of Build Your Own Canadian Cranberry and Herb Turkey Burgers!
French Tart's Note:
Build your own burger - the recipe here is for a low-fat cranberry and herb turkey burger, with LOTS of options! Plump semi-dried Canadian cranberries and fresh chopped herbs are added to lean, low-fat turkey mince for a moist and flavourful burger, and without the guilt! I have offered the bacon, cheese, assorted condiments and the burger bun as an option; if you are REALLY watching your calories and fat intake, just go with the plain burger and a lovely crispy mixed salad on the side. Turkey mince can be a little bland, so the addition of the herbs and cranberries adds a real flavour injection. Try to use freshly chopped herbs for the best flavour, if you do use dried herbs, reduce the quantities by half, as dried herbs are more pungent than fresh. If you prefer a slightly sweeter taste, use Craisins, the sweetened dried cranberries that are available in North America and Canada; this recipe has been posted as a thank you to a Canadian friend on Recipezaar, who kindly sent me some Craisins, along with lots of other Canadian goodies! Merci beaucoup!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (3-4 sprays) or 1 teaspoon low-fat cooking spray (3-4 sprays)
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or 1/4 cup craisins
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey (turkey mince)
- 6 slices Canadian bacon (optional)
- 6 toasted hamburger buns (optional)
- 1If grilling the burgers, preheat grill to medium-high. (You can also pan-fry or barbeque these burgers.).
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan/skillet over medium heat, or spray three or four sprays of low fat spray. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Add the thyme, sage, salt and pepper; cook until fragrant, for about 30 seconds more.
- 3Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the breadcrumbs and cranberries, stir to combine. Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes. Add the turkey mince and stir until combined; do not overmix. Form the mixture into 6 burgers/patties.
- 4To cook on the stovetop: Coat a large nonstick frying pan/skillet, preferably cast-iron, with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the burgers/patties, reduce heat to medium, and cook for about 5 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side for about 2 minutes. Cover and continue to cook until lightly browned but still juicy (the juices should run clear, not pink), about 3 - 4 minutes more.
- 5To grill: Oil the grill rack and grill the burgers for 5 to 6 minutes per side, flipping gently to avoid breaking them.
- 6Serve the burgers immediately, inside a burger bun with the optionial extras and condiments as suggested. A mixed salad is also a great accompaniment.
- 7NB: If using the bacon or the cheese slices, grill or fry the bacon slices for about 2 to 3 minutes beforehand and then place the bacon or cheese slice on top of a cooked burger for the last 2 - 3 minutes of grilling or cooking time.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Build Your Own Canadian Cranberry and Herb Turkey Burgers!
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.1
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 59.7 mg
- Sodium 201.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 13.9 g