Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 3 lbs boneless chuck roast (or similar beef roast)
- 1 (27 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled cored and sliced
- salt and pepper
- Place meat in a Dutch oven.
- Top with the sauerkraut, tomatoes, sugar, apple, onion and salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer several hours until meat is very fork tender.
- Correct seasonings if need be.
I make chuck roast all of the time. The longer is cooks in liquid, the more tender the meat will be and it will start to fall apart. I suggest at least 2 hours. Sometimes I even leave it simmer for 3 hours.