Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I usually make Chile Verde with pork, but I recently had some buffalo thawed and wanted verde, so... :) I basically used the same favorite easy recipe that I have for the pork version, and it worked quite well. Yum!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs buffalo, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large fresh yellow onions, minced or diced or 1⁄2 cup dried onion flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (7 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 (16 ounce) jarla victoria salsa verde
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup mexican beer or 1⁄2 cup tequila (I used tequila)
- Cut meat into 1/2-inch cubes; season cubes with salt and pepper.
- In a large, heavy pan with lid, brown the cubes well in oil and melted butter.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer for at least 90 minutes, stirring frequently; add more water (or broth or beer) during cooking if necessary to achieve desired sauce texture.
Very easy to make with things we have in the pantry. Tastes very good! Freezes well, too.