Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 mins
Your grill -- Traditional buffalo wing flavors of pungent blue cheese and fiery hot sauce paired with a perfectly grilled turkey burger -- A match made in backyard heaven! Fire up the grill!!
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 (1 5/8 ounce) package buffalo, wing seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 large kaiser rolls or 4 large potato buns, split and lightly toasted
- tomatoes, slices
- crisp dill pickle
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup bottled hot sauce (optional)
- Prepare your outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat.
- Saute' the chopped onion with butter in a skillet over medium to low heat. Cook until onion begins to brown, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, using your hands, mix together the ground turkey, celery, garlic and buffalo wing seasoning mix, just until blended. Next, mix in the cooked onion. Shape into 6 very flat patties.
- Brush the grill rack liberally with vegetable or canola oil prior to cooking. Place burgers on hot grill; cook 5 minutes, or just until the meat loses its pink color throughout, turning over once. (Burgers should reach an internal temperature of 170 degrees F.).
- OPTIONAL: To turn up the flavor and the heat a notch, in a medium bowl, whisk together the hot sauce and melted butter. While the burgers are cooking, baste them liberally with this mixture.
- On the grill or in a toaster, lighlty toast the rolls/buns. During the last minute of cooking, add the crumbled blue cheese to each burger and cover to melt.
- To serve, place the lettuce, tomato slices and pickles on the roll/bun bottom; if desired, drizzle the hot sauce and butter mixture over the burger before serving, Cover with roll/bun tops.
- Cook's Tip: In small bowl, stir mayonnaise (1/4 cup), sour cream (1/4 cup), crumbled blue cheese (1/2 cup), vinegar (2 teaspoons), and Worcestershire (1/2 teaspoon) until blended. This blue cheese sauce makes about 3/4 cup and is a delicious accompaniment to carrot and celery sticks when serving this spicy turkey burger.
- Cook's Tip: For an added treat when toasting your rolls and buns, combine melted butter with garlic and brush on the insides prior to setting them on the hot grill.
Good Burger, very moist, full of big flavour. I couldn't find wing seasoning mix so I made my own. I also sauted my celery with onions. Good alternative to regular beef burgers. Thank you!
Good recipe ... we used ground buffalo instead of turkey. The flavor was fantastic even if we didn't use the butter on anything. DH thought next time we should have some straight Hot wing sauce to put on the burger also.