Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Random experiment while I was on vacation that came out great. All my meat eating friends wanted to try my "weird tofu sandwich" and since we got back 3 out of 5 have asked me to make it for them again. This is also how I introduced my Dad to tofu. He still makes fun of me, but not as bad. When I make this for others I like to serve it with a side of blue cheese dressing and either a pickle or celery which adds a nice touch.
- 8 ounces tofu (firm or extra firm)
- 4 white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons buffalo wing sauce (or to taste)
- 2 hard rolls (or hoagie rolls)
- cooking spray (or butter or oil for sauteing)
- blue cheese dressing (optional)
- Press tofu well and cut into reasonably sized slices (about 1/2 inch thick).
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Spray a skillet or add a small bit of butter/oil and brown the tofu on both sides (about 7 minutes per side).
- While tofu cooks saute your onion and mushrooms with a little salt and pepper until onion is tender and mushrooms are just browned.
- Set aside.
- Turn tofu down to low.
- Spoon buffalo sauce over your tofu slices and, shuffle them around to coat.
- Let cook a few minutes on med-low heat.
- Pile your tofu onto rolls and top with mushrooms and onion.
YUM!!! We loved this sandwich!! I sauteed the tofu with just Pam and browned it up really nicely. Did the same with the mushrooms & onions. We actually had this two nights in a row we liked it so much. Thanks for sharing!! Hubby rated a 9/10, which is HIGH compliments from him! :O)
I'm new to vegetarianism and am looking for meatless recipes. Delicious! Will make again soon. Thanks Nikoma for a great recipe!!!
This was so good! I made Recipe#330490 for the sauce and it was great in this sandwich(I halved the recipe)! Thanks Nikoma for a yummy lunch! Made for PAC(Pick a Chef)-spring 2009.