This is another recipe I adapted to be vegan from the Healthy Cooking Class I took over Winter Break. Original recipe used chicken tenders. I really like this recipe because of all the whole grains and seeds that were incorperated into the breading mixture, and the fact that they were baked instead of fried. The chef who created the recipe did not use exact mesurements, so the dry spices that are added to the breading mixture are my own measurements and are all marked "to taste". The chef was also a big fan of the Kashi brand whole grain crackers, but those are NOT vegan. I substituted Wasa wholegrain crackers instead.
- Cut the pressed tofu block into bite sized cubes, place in a bowl, and cover with the hot sauce.
- Let marinate in the fridge at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- For the breading: In a blender or food processor, mix together the panko, crackers and flax seeds.
- Season to taste with the garlic powder, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Remove tofu cubes from the hot sauce and place in the breading mixture, coating all sides evenly.
- Place the breaded cubes on a sprayed sheet pan and cook in a pre-heated 375-degree oven for 18-20 minutes, or until crispy. Serve hot with some cucumbers, carrots, and celery sticks.