Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This is another recipe I adapted to be vegan from the Healthy Cooking Class I took over Winter Break. Original recipe used chicken tenders. I really like this recipe because of all the whole grains and seeds that were incorperated into the breading mixture, and the fact that they were baked instead of fried. The chef who created the recipe did not use exact mesurements, so the dry spices that are added to the breading mixture are my own measurements and are all marked "to taste". The chef was also a big fan of the Kashi brand whole grain crackers, but those are NOT vegan. I substituted Wasa wholegrain crackers instead.
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
I did not find these hard to make at all. I threw the coating ingredients into the food processor and then tossed the marinated tofu in and gently tossed and baked. That was it. I had to change the recipe a little to accommodate what I had on hand though. I did not have multigrain crackers, so I threw in some tostitos and used regular breadcrumbs in place of the panko. When we first tried these I was not keen on them, but I decided to refrigerate them and tried them the next day when they were cold. Even my kids liked them then. I used some as croutons in a salad and just ate some as is. My 14 year daughter asked me make another batch right away. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 cup Frank's red hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat panko
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed
- 2 wasa, multigrain crackers
- 1 -2 tablespoon garlic powder (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the pressed tofu block into bite sized cubes, place in a bowl, and cover with the hot sauce.
- Let marinate in the fridge at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- For the breading: In a blender or food processor, mix together the panko, crackers and flax seeds.
- Season to taste with the garlic powder, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Remove tofu cubes from the hot sauce and place in the breading mixture, coating all sides evenly.
- Place the breaded cubes on a sprayed sheet pan and cook in a pre-heated 375-degree oven for 18-20 minutes, or until crispy. Serve hot with some cucumbers, carrots, and celery sticks.