Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This are such a treat! Classic buffalo-style hot wings are a snap to prepare. Serve the spicy wings with the traditional accompaniments: creamy blue cheese dip and crispy celery stalks. I use Spiracha Hot Chili Sauce found in Asian food markets. Using cornstarch, rather than flour, gives an extra crispy coating. (The cooking time includes the refrigerator resting time.)
- 4 ounces blue cheese, such as Maytag
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- salt and pepper
- 2 quarts canola oil (or peanut oil)
- 2 lbs chicken wings, tips trimmed off
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- celery rib, for serving
- In a bowl, using the back of a fork, mash the blue cheese into pea-size pieces.
- Add the mayonnaise and buttermilk and whisk until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the dip to a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. (The dip can be made up to 2 days in advance.).
- Cut through the joint on each chicken wing to separate the wing into 2 pieces.
- Rinse and pat the chicken pieces dry.
- Combine cornstarch cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper in a large zip style plastic bag. Shake to blend.
- Dredge the wings in the cornstarch mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Place wings on a rack lined baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for 90 minutes. (This step causes the coating to adhere better.).
- Pour the oil into a large pot, making sure the oil does not come more than halfway up the sides.
- Heat the oil to 375°F on a deep-frying thermometer.
- (Or use a deep-fat fryer following the manufactures directions.).
- Preheat an oven to 200°F Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Working in batches, fry the wings until golden brown and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. (Use less time if wings aren't too meaty.).
- Transfer the wings to the paper towel-lined baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the hot sauce and butter and heat until the butter melts.
- (Alternatively, in a small microwavable bowl, whisk together the hot sauce and butter and warm in a microwave at 15-second intervals until hot.).
- Transfer the fried chicken wings to a large bowl. Pour the sauce over the wings and stir to coat evenly.
- Serve immediately with the blue cheese dip and celery stalks.