2 hrs 45 mins
Cucina Casalingo's Note:
This are such a treat! Classic buffalo-style hot wings are a snap to prepare. Serve the spicy wings with the traditional accompaniments: creamy blue cheese dip and crispy celery stalks. I use Spiracha Hot Chili Sauce found in Asian food markets. Using cornstarch, rather than flour, gives an extra crispy coating. (The cooking time includes the refrigerator resting time.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces blue cheese, such as Maytag
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- salt and pepper
- 2 quarts canola oil (or peanut oil)
- 2 lbs chicken wings, tips trimmed off
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- celery rib, for serving
- 1In a bowl, using the back of a fork, mash the blue cheese into pea-size pieces.
- 2Add the mayonnaise and buttermilk and whisk until well combined.
- 3Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the dip to a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. (The dip can be made up to 2 days in advance.).
- 4Cut through the joint on each chicken wing to separate the wing into 2 pieces.
- 5Rinse and pat the chicken pieces dry.
- 6Combine cornstarch cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper in a large zip style plastic bag. Shake to blend.
- 7Dredge the wings in the cornstarch mixture, shaking off the excess.
- 8Place wings on a rack lined baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for 90 minutes. (This step causes the coating to adhere better.).
- 9Pour the oil into a large pot, making sure the oil does not come more than halfway up the sides.
- 10Heat the oil to 375°F on a deep-frying thermometer.
- 11(Or use a deep-fat fryer following the manufactures directions.).
- 12Preheat an oven to 200°F Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- 13Working in batches, fry the wings until golden brown and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. (Use less time if wings aren't too meaty.).
- 14Transfer the wings to the paper towel-lined baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- 15In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the hot sauce and butter and heat until the butter melts.
- 16(Alternatively, in a small microwavable bowl, whisk together the hot sauce and butter and warm in a microwave at 15-second intervals until hot.).
- 17Transfer the fried chicken wings to a large bowl. Pour the sauce over the wings and stir to coat evenly.
- 18Serve immediately with the blue cheese dip and celery stalks.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buffalo-Style Hot Wings With Blue Cheese Dip
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4763.3
- Calories from Fat 4521
- Total Fat 502.3 g
- Saturated Fat 55.5 g
- Cholesterol 236.6 mg
- Sodium 1435.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 50.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: