Recipe by Chef Otaktay
This is Native Americans "beef stew" if you wanna called it that, It's very delicious and I think you would like it too, but finding buffalo meat might be a problem.
Top Review by mersaydees
This stew is simple and delicious. I'm fortunate to live in Maine where buffalo stew meat is not hard to find. In general I halved this recipe because I had 1 pound of buffalo stew meat. I used 1 quart of water, 2 stalks of celery, 2 carrots, and the full 1 cup barley. Thanks, Chef Otaktay!
- 2 stalks celery, cut 1 inch long
- 1 (12 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 lbs buffalo stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 quarts water
- 2 lbs red potatoes (not russets) or 2 lbs white potatoes (not russets)
- 1 cup barley
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the buffalo cubes on high heat until seared about 3 minutes.
- Add 4 quarts of water, potatoes and carrots and boil until veggies are tender.
- Add stewed tomatoes and celery and barley cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from fire and place into baking dish.
- Bake at 425°F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and enjoy.
- Note: This stew tastes really great--you can use elk or bear or even rabbit in place of buffalo.