Prep 18 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is Native Americans "beef stew" if you wanna called it that, It's very delicious and I think you would like it too, but finding buffalo meat might be a problem.
- Brown the buffalo cubes on high heat until seared about 3 minutes.
- Add 4 quarts of water, potatoes and carrots and boil until veggies are tender.
- Add stewed tomatoes and celery and barley cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from fire and place into baking dish.
- Bake at 425°F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and enjoy.
- Note: This stew tastes really great--you can use elk or bear or even rabbit in place of buffalo.
This stew is simple and delicious. I'm fortunate to live in Maine where buffalo stew meat is not hard to find. In general I halved this recipe because I had 1 pound of buffalo stew meat. I used 1 quart of water, 2 stalks of celery, 2 carrots, and the full 1 cup barley. Thanks, Chef Otaktay!
Although the instructions call for adding carrots, no carrots are listed under ingredients. Also, if 4 quarts of water are to be added, then the amount of barley should be increased. As it is now, there's way too much water for the listed ingredients. Finally, I found 6 stalks of celery were needed, not 2.