Hey Jude's Note:
I'm always on the lookout for recipes using buffalo meat as there is a buffalo ranch near us at our place in N. Wisconsin. Here's one that I found that we really liked....it's quick and easy and perfect after a day of fishing when the husband, once again, catches no fish! Adapted from a Sunset recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 lb ground buffalo meat or 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 (13 ounce) cans tomatillos
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can hominy, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby corn, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 5 small dried hot red chiles
- 1In a 5-6 quart pan over medium heat, combine onions and 1 tablespoon of the oil; stir often until onions are light golden and sweet to taste, about 20 minutes.
- 2Add mushrooms and stir occasionally until liquid evaporates, about 10 more minutes; remove from pan, set aside.
- 3Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan along with buffalo; stir frequently over high heat until meat is well browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes.
- 4Return onion mixture to pan along with tomatillos (break them up with a spoon) and their liquid; stir to free up the browned bits.
- 5Add hominy, corn, cilantro, oregano and chiles; bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to blend flavors.
- 6If you're making this ahead of when you'll serve it, let it cool at this point then cover and refrigerate until the next day.
- 7Reheat to serve and REMOVE and discard the HOT CHILES before serving, unless you like getting a'jolt'.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buffalo Stew
Serving Size: 1 (452 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 438.9
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 52.1 mg
- Sodium 318.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 33.5 g