1/1 Photo of Buffalo Sauce Burgers Stuffed With Blue Cheese
Buffalo sauce, a mixture of melted butter and hot sauce, is a big claim to food fame for Buffalo, New York. It is normally served on fried chicken wings (Buffalo wings), but this burger is a great variation of the theme. The recipe is adapted from one published in my local newspaper and credited to David Joachim, author of The Tailgater's Cookbook. It was included in a feature on tailgating, and the idea was to get these ready to grill at home, then grill them at your tailgating affair. The original recipe called for either ground buffalo or ground beef. Since ground buffalo is not available where I live, I used ground beef. I forgot to notice how long prep took, so the time given is a guess. I served these on PaulaG's Sourdough Hamburger Buns--they are excellent and I highly recommend them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.16 ml butter, cut in small pieces
- 78.07 ml mild hot sauce (they mentioned Durkee, I used Frank's RedHot)
- 118.29 ml finely crumbled blue cheese
- 14.79 ml minced garlic (you may want to use less if you're not a big fan of garlic)
- 907.18 g 85% lean ground beef or 907.18 g ground buffalo meat
- 2.46 ml celery seed
- 78.07 ml finely chopped onion
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 1Melt butter and whisk in hot sauce.
- 2Mix blue cheese and garlic in a small bowl.
- 3Using your hands, gently mix beef (or buffalo), celery seed, onion and 1/4 cup hot sauce mixture in a medium bowl until blended. Form into 12 patties, using a light touch; the patties should be about 4 1/2 inches in diameter and no more than 1/2 inch thick.
- 4Spoon about 2 teaspoons of cheese-garlic mixture in center of 6 patties, then top with remaining patties and press together, sealing edges.
- 5Cover and refrigerate until ready to grill. (Even if you aren't making these ahead of time, I think they hold together better after a little chill time).
- 6Heat grill to medium and oil grate.
- 7Grill burgers about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked to taste. (I'll only eat ground beef cooked well, so I cooked a bit longer.) Brush with remaining hot sauce mixture during last 2 minutes of cooking. Toast buns if you like.
- 8(I couldn't think of many traditional condiments I wanted on this burger, so I just ate mine with extra buffalo sauce and lettuce).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buffalo Sauce Burgers Stuffed With Blue Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 560.5
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 131.7 mg
- Sodium 862.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 34.9 g