Buffalo tastes rich but is very lean - adding medium ground beef to it keeps these burgers juicy. We're fortunate to live near a buffalo ranch but if you don't & can't find it at the supermarket, a butcher may be able to order it for you - or you can substitute with all beef. This recipe comes from the Rebel House restaurant in Toronto which is known around town for its excellent buffalo burger.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons rosemary or 2 teaspoons oregano (or 1/2 tsp/2 mL dried)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces medium ground beef
- 8 ounces ground buffalo meat
- 4 kaiser rolls or 4 hamburger buns
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1In skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry diced onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 2Let cool.
- 3In large bowl, beat egg.
- 4Stir in thyme, mustard, horseradish, salt and pepper; mix in onion, beef and buffalo.
- 5Shape into four 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick patties.
- 6(Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours. Or layer between waxed paper in airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month; thaw in refrigerator.) Place patties on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and cook, turning once, until no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes.
- 7Cut rolls in half; place, cut sides down, on grill and toast until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 8Layer burgers, lettuce, tomato then onion on bottoms; sandwich with tops.
Browse Our Top Wild Game Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Wild Game Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buffalo (or Beef) Burger
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.3
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 117.0 mg
- Sodium 725.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 30.0 g