Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Buffalo tastes rich but is very lean - adding medium ground beef to it keeps these burgers juicy. We're fortunate to live near a buffalo ranch but if you don't & can't find it at the supermarket, a butcher may be able to order it for you - or you can substitute with all beef. This recipe comes from the Rebel House restaurant in Toronto which is known around town for its excellent buffalo burger.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons rosemary or 2 teaspoons oregano (or 1/2 tsp/2 mL dried)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces medium ground beef
- 8 ounces ground buffalo meat
- 4 kaiser rolls or 4 hamburger buns
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- In skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry diced onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Let cool.
- In large bowl, beat egg.
- Stir in thyme, mustard, horseradish, salt and pepper; mix in onion, beef and buffalo.
- Shape into four 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick patties.
- (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours. Or layer between waxed paper in airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month; thaw in refrigerator.) Place patties on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and cook, turning once, until no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes.
- Cut rolls in half; place, cut sides down, on grill and toast until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Layer burgers, lettuce, tomato then onion on bottoms; sandwich with tops.
Very good burgers! This is the first time I ever tried buffalo and I thought mixing it with ground beef is a really good idea. Thanks for sharing!
Very nice! We wanted to experience the full flavor of the buffalo, so we also fixed it as 100% without mixing it with ground beef. It was not dry or tough. We used fresh rosemary, by choice, thinking it might help with the intense flavor. The burger came out tender and lean with nice "wild" flavor. Thank you for your recipe to help us be adventurous.
Great burgers, this was our first buffalo burger and we found them delicious. I didn't have ground beef on hand and went with using all buffalo and they were excellent. I can't wait to pick up some fresh herbs for the next making. Thank you for posting this really good recipe.