Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Fabulous meatloaf with great flavour - I have been told it makes great sandwiches the next day but never have any left over to try it! Substitute ground beef and it is equally terrific. We will often make extra sauce and heat it in the microwave to serve on the side.
- Soak breadcrumbs in milk until milk is absorbed.
- Beat eggs slightly, add in with breadcrumb mixture. Add ground meat, diced onion, salt, pepper and sage. Combine well.
- Grease loaf pan, pack mixture lightly into pan.
- Combine brown sugar, catsup, nutmeg and dry mustard for sauce and spread over top of loaf.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
- Drain off any liquids (if any).
- Turn out of pan. Let sit for a few minutes, slice to serve.
I will not use this recipe again. To quote my dinner companion "there isn't much to it" and "the meat is kinda weird" (maybe using Panko whole wheat bread crumbs?). I don't know if I made errors, or where. I even added basil, extra sage and extra onions because I thought it would be bland. The sauce is good.
I have to say , I messed up but it ended up beeing great . I made the sauce for topping and mixed it with my beef ... I had to make more of the sauce . I will make this exact way again since it was sooo good . Thank you for a great recipe .
This is one great meat loaf recipe. I must say we don't have buffalo meat so used half ground pork and half ground hamburger. Added 1/4 cup diced carrots and bell pepper then cooked just as listed. The result was a moist, but firm meat loaf w/a wonderful sweet and tangy topping that everyone loved. Was firm enough to slice perfectly and easy to make. The whole family loved this. We served with steamed rice and Savory Parmesan Popovers (Healthier!), a very impressive meal.