Recipe by SuperSpike
I made up this recipe to recreate the "Beefalo Chili" at a little burger joint that I frequent. Rich, mild and delicious. Lean 93/7 ground beef can be used in place of the buffalo if you can't find it.
- 1 lb ground buffalo meat
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed in a garlic press
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons beef base
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon maggi seasoning
- 12 ounces low-sodium V8 juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (I use petite-diced)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- cayenne pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a large, heavy pot (I use my enameled dutch oven) with nonstick spray and brown the bison over medium to medium high heat. When it is almost done browning, add the onions, garlic, and peppers, and cook until they soften.
- Season the meat and vegetables with the spices, then add all the remaining ingredients except for the beans. Turn the heat down, cover pot and simmer 1 hour.
- Add the beans and simmer an additional 30 minutes over medium low heat.