Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
My tasty twist on a classic bar food.
Make and share this Buffalo Chicken Stromboli recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 -2 cup buttermilk, for marinating (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 cup hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 2 (1 lb) packagesof refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or 2 cups provolone cheese
- 1 cup flour, seasoned
- cornmeal, for dusting
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 -2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- garlic powder, to taste
- onion powder, to taste
- peanut oil or vegetable oil, for frying
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Cut chicken into small pieces, about 1/2 inch. Place in resealable bag with buttermilk (if using) for 2 hours up to 24 hours.
- Season flour with spices of your choice (I use liberal amounts of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, ground mustard, paprika, and cayenne pepper).
- Remove chicken from buttermilk, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour peanut oil or vegetable oil to depth of about two inches in large cast iron skillet; heat to 350°F.
- Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour and fry in hot oil in batches about 4 minutes or until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- Mix together hot sauce, Worcestershire, red wine vinegar, and butter in small saucepan until incorporated and heated through.
- After all chicken is fried and drained, place chicken in hot sauce mixture.
- Preheat oven according to package directions for pizza dough (usually about 400°F).
- Dust work surface and hands with cornmeal. Also dust a large baking sheet with cornmeal.
- Unroll pizza dough onto work surface, making sure to pinch together any parts of the dough that have torn.
- Cut dough in half lengthwise and crosswise to make four smaller equal size rectangles.
- Place thin layer of cheese (shredded mozzarella or provolone) on each rectangle, making sure to leave a one-inch border on all sides.
- Then place a thin layer of buffalo chicken pieces on each rectangle, again being mindful of the border on all sides.
- CAREFULLY roll each rectangle, beginning from the short side, folding sides underneath and pressing to set. *It's important that all the edges are sealed*.
- Place each stromboli on the cornmeal-dusted baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining tube of dough.
- Make topping: mix together grated Parmesan, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Brush each stromboli with a light coating of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle on the topping mixture, making sure to pat/press it in gently.
- Bake until evenly golden, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping.