My tasty twist on a classic bar food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 -2 cup buttermilk, for marinating (optional)
- 1/2-1 cup hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 2 (1 lb) packages of refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or 2 cups provolone cheese
- 1 cup flour, seasoned
- cornmeal, for dusting
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 -2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- garlic powder, to taste
- onion powder, to taste
- peanut oil or vegetable oil, for frying
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1Cut chicken into small pieces, about 1/2 inch. Place in resealable bag with buttermilk (if using) for 2 hours up to 24 hours.
- 2Season flour with spices of your choice (I use liberal amounts of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, ground mustard, paprika, and cayenne pepper).
- 3Remove chicken from buttermilk, and season with salt and pepper.
- 4Pour peanut oil or vegetable oil to depth of about two inches in large cast iron skillet; heat to 350°F.
- 5Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour and fry in hot oil in batches about 4 minutes or until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- 6Mix together hot sauce, Worcestershire, red wine vinegar, and butter in small saucepan until incorporated and heated through.
- 7After all chicken is fried and drained, place chicken in hot sauce mixture.
- 8Preheat oven according to package directions for pizza dough (usually about 400°F).
- 9Dust work surface and hands with cornmeal. Also dust a large baking sheet with cornmeal.
- 10Unroll pizza dough onto work surface, making sure to pinch together any parts of the dough that have torn.
- 11Cut dough in half lengthwise and crosswise to make four smaller equal size rectangles.
- 12Place thin layer of cheese (shredded mozzarella or provolone) on each rectangle, making sure to leave a one-inch border on all sides.
- 13Then place a thin layer of buffalo chicken pieces on each rectangle, again being mindful of the border on all sides.
- 14CAREFULLY roll each rectangle, beginning from the short side, folding sides underneath and pressing to set. *It's important that all the edges are sealed*.
- 15Place each stromboli on the cornmeal-dusted baking sheet.
- 16Repeat with remaining tube of dough.
- 17Make topping: mix together grated Parmesan, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder.
- 18Brush each stromboli with a light coating of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle on the topping mixture, making sure to pat/press it in gently.
- 19Bake until evenly golden, about 15-20 minutes.
- 20Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buffalo Chicken Stromboli
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 578.2
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 130.0 mg
- Sodium 1368.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 43.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: