Recipe by sexymommalucas
Yummy buffalo wings, with their sticky, buttery hot sauce are always a favorite of mine and my husband. Using strips instead of wings and including a salad instead of veggie sticks, this recipe is not only slighty more grown up like but less messy and easy to make at home. Instead of using pricey cutlets or tenders, you cut breasts into strips.
Buffalo Chicken Strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for those that like it HOT)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups spooned and leveled all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken breasts, cut into 16 equal-size strips
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 drops hot sauce
- coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 romaine lettuce, cored and chopped
- 4 medium carrots, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium celery, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in ketchup,hot sauce, cayenne poepper, garlic salt and worcestershire sauce. Remove from heat; cover and reserve sauce.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle 1/2 cup flour mixture evenly on a rimmed baking sheet; set aside. In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and 2 teaspoons water.
- In small batches, dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip chicken in egg mixture to coat, shaking off excess. Dredge chicken in flour again. Place on floured sheet.
- In a large (5-quart) saucepan, heat oil to 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer (a pinch of flour should sizzle when dropped in the oil).
- Add half the chicken; cook until golden brown, 3 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Return oil to 350 degrees. Repeat with remaining chicken. Toss chicken strips with reserved sauce (reheated if necessary) to coat.
- Serve with Blue Cheese Salad; In a large bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, water, lemon juice, hot sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Fold in blue cheese.
- Add romaine lettuce, carrots, and celery; toss to combine. Serve immediately.