Prep 3 mins
Cook 27 mins
Adapted from www.auntpurplescooking.com - I like to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this, but you can use breasts too.
- 907.18 g chicken thighs
- 118.29 ml green onion, sliced
- 236.59 ml celery, chopped
- 14.79 ml butter
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml milk
- 396.89 g chicken stock
- 236.59 ml water
- 118.29 ml hot sauce (Franks wing sauce is good)
- 113.39 g Velveeta cheese
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 2.46 ml garlic salt
- In a large saucepan, cook chicken through. Add onions and celery. Add butter and stir in flour until smooth.
- Slowly add milk and broth. Add water, wing sauce, Velveeta, cayenne pepper and garlic powder.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until cheese has melted.
I turned this into a crock pot dish, using a mix of frozen skinless, boneless breasts and thighs. Threw the frozen chicken in the crockpot after briefly cooking the onions and celery in the butter. Added the stock, water, milk and seasonings. Let it go for about 5 hours, shredded the chicken in the pot and headed out to class. Came home, added the cheese, Franks and flour that I made into a slurry before adding. Another 15 minutes and it was perfect, thick and creamy. I used lower fat Velveta and skim milk and it still had wonderfull creamy flavor. The spice level was great for us, as we are heat junkies in this house. This is a definite keeper! Thanks for posting.
Awesome soup! I did use b/s chicken thighs and diced them prior to cooking. The 1/2 cup of hot sauce sounds like a lot, but it's not over powering at all. It's pleasantly spicy. I garnished the soup with extra chopped scallions and crumbled blue cheese...... because what would buffalo chicken be without blue cheese? Thanx for sharing!
Tasty! Added a bit more flour to thicken it up.