Recipe by EveryoneLovesaSpringer
A simple yet deliciously flavorful casserole that pretty much invented itself one evening in my kitchen!
Top Review by Kate the Cook from Boston
This was a great base casserole to play off of...I always look to add more vegetables so I played on the buffalo chicken and added shredded carrot and chopped celery as well as chopped red pepper. Instead of the "cream of" I did a roux with part milk, part broth and added blue cheese dressing (instead of ranch) and the hot sauce to it. Easy and fun
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- chicken sausage, 4-pack buffalo flavored and cut in 1/2 inch slices (we use precooked Al Fresco)
- 1⁄4 cup ranch dressing (we use Hidden Valley light)
- 10 ounces cream of celery soup
- 15 1⁄2 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 -2 dash hot sauce (we use Frank's)
- sour cream
- mild salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE RICE:.
- Bring 1 cup rice and 2 1/4 cups chicken stock to boil in medium saucepan.
- Once boiling, stir once, cover, reduce heat and let simmer 40-45 minutes.
- FOR ONION/GARLIC MIXTURE:.
- Saute onion in olive oil for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add garlic, cumin and cayenne pepper and cook an additional minute, stirring frequently.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cooked rice, onion mixture, chicken sausage, ranch dressing, soup, beans and cheese together in large casserole dish.
- Add 1-2 dashes hot sauce (or more to taste) and stir again. If desired, sprinkle top with additional cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Top individual servings with dollop of sour cream and fresh salsa.