Can two favorite appetizers come together in a bowl of soup? They sure can.The flavors of Buffalo Chicken Wings and Loaded Potato Skins marry beautifully in this soup. Spicy, creamy and satisfying. I used Greenridge Buffalo Chicken Sausage, but any spicy cooked chicken sausage would work.
- 3 medium russet potatoes, cut in 3/4 inch pieces, skin left on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 12 ounces chicken sausage, sliced 1/2 inch thick (Buffalo Flavored)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup ranch dressing
- 1⁄3 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced (to garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (to garnish) (optional)
- smoked paprika (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 13 X 9 pan with non-stick spray. Place the potato pieces in the pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat.Bake 30 minutes or until the potatoes are browned and tender.
- While the potatoes are baking, heat a soup pot over medium heat and add the bacon and cook until browned. Remove the cooked bacon and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Add the sausage and cook 3-4 minutes until just stating to brown.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally until they are translucent.
- Add the peppers and garlic and continue to cook another 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of the chicken stock to the pan, stir to loosen any brown bits.
- Add the rest of the stock and bring the mixture just to a simmer. Continue to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and bacon to the pot and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Add the cream and ranch dressing to the pot and heat gently.
- Add the Blue Cheese and Cheddar Cheese and stir until melted.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a sprinkling of smoked paprika, sliced green onions and a dollop of sour cream, if using.