Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe online and made a few changes to suit what I had available. If you have leftover grilled chicken, use it instead of the pre-cooked chicken strips. I like to use homemade blue cheese dressing. These are very sloppy sandwiches so be sure to have lots of napkins or a wet washcloth handy! Enjoy!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons Frank's red hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 (6 ounce) packagespre-cooked southwestern chicken strips
- 4 hoagie rolls, split
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup blue cheese dressing
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low to low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the hot sauce, barbecue sauce, and chili powder and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken and cook the mixture uncovered over medium-low heat for five minutes, or until heated through.
- Spoon chicken onto bun bottoms; top with lettuce and blue cheese dressing. Top with bun tops.
Doubled the recipe and did the whole thing in a crock pot with frozen chicken breasts on high for 4 hours. Shredded the chicken in the crock, stirred to combine, and served at our monthly "game night". Served with a celery/raddish/carot slaw tossed in bleu cheese dressing. A H-U-G-E hit! Thank you ever so much for this crowd-pleasing recipe!
OK, so I changed this a bit, but it still came out great. I used a sprinkling of smoked paprika in lieu of the bbq sauce and chili powder, just a tiny bit of butter and less hot sauce (different brand - must be way hotter). I would love to try this again as written. Thanks, flower!
Made recipe as posted with one exception.. added an teaspoon extra chili powder. Made and gone in one night.. The sauce was excellent too. Something for me to try in the crockpot too in the future. Made for I recommend tag.