Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe online and made a few changes to suit what I had available. If you have leftover grilled chicken, use it instead of the pre-cooked chicken strips. I like to use homemade blue cheese dressing. These are very sloppy sandwiches so be sure to have lots of napkins or a wet washcloth handy! Enjoy!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons Frank's red hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 (6 ounce) packagespre-cooked southwestern chicken strips
- 4 hoagie rolls, split
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup blue cheese dressing
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low to low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the hot sauce, barbecue sauce, and chili powder and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken and cook the mixture uncovered over medium-low heat for five minutes, or until heated through.
- Spoon chicken onto bun bottoms; top with lettuce and blue cheese dressing. Top with bun tops.
Doubled the recipe and did the whole thing in a crock pot with frozen chicken breasts on high for 4 hours. Shredded the chicken in the crock, stirred to combine, and served at our monthly "game night". Served with a celery/raddish/carot slaw tossed in bleu cheese dressing. A H-U-G-E hit! Thank you ever so much for this crowd-pleasing recipe!
My family loves this recipe and now prefers it to Sloppy Joes. I also use any leftover baked chicken or rotisserie chicken from the deli and throw everything into the crockpot to warm so it's a no fuss delicious meal for the whole family. I serve the sandwiches with crunchy baked potato wedges, blue cheese dressing for dipping and pickle spears. Thanks for posting.
Really good! At first glance I thought the recipe meant breaded chicken strips, so that's what we used. It was delicious! We skipped the blue cheese dressing as half of us can't do dairy.