Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This salad takes the main components of Buffalo Chicken Wings--chicken, hot sauce, blue cheese and celery--and tosses them together in a refreshing salad that is significantly lower in fat and calories than the dish that inspired it. If you like spicy food, add more hot sauce; this is a mild version. Recipe courtesy of Hallmark Magazine.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons cayenne pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut lengthwise into thick strips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot paprika or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large celery ribs, diced
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese (3 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 6 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Preheat the broiler. In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the oil and 1 tablespoon of the hot pepper sauce. Add the chicken and toss. Transfer the chicken to a broiler pan and sprinkle on both sides with the paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Broil 6 inches from the heat, turning once, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cooked through. Place on a plate to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, cut into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, prepare the celery, carrots and scallions, and put them in a large salad bowl, tossing well to combine.
- In a blender or mini food processor, combine the blue cheese, milk, yogurt, vinegar, remaining 2 teaspoons oil, remaining 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. (If there are any juices on the chicken plate, add them in.) Process until smooth.
- Add the dressing, chicken and lettuce to the salad bowl, tossing gently to combine. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Delicious lunch! I made a salad for 1 but enough leftover chicken and dressing for another salad which I will have tomorrow. :D I didn't add in the celery and may add in some tomato. Thanks for the great recipe!