Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
"How would you like to come home from a long day at work and be greeted to a crock pot filled with warm, spicy buffalo chicken meatballs?" - Lauren Keating, crock-pot.com
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
- 453.59 g lean ground chicken
- 177.44 ml dry breadcrumbs
- 1 carrot, peeled & minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 29.58 ml hot sauce (a buffalo style sauce like Frank's Red Hot)
- 236.59 ml hot sauce (a buffalo style sauce like Frank's Red Hot)
- 59.14 ml blue cheese, crumbled
- 29.58 ml Greek yogurt
- 4 bread (sub rolls or large hot dog buns)
- Heat oven to 450. Coat bottom of a baking dish with oil.
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, bread crumbs, carrot, celery, egg, and 2 tablespoons buffalo sauce; mix until just incorporated. Firmly roll the mixture into 12 balls, about 2 inches each; place in prepared dish.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Transfer meatballs to slow cooker. Pour remaining 1 cup buffalo sauce on top. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours.
- Keep warm until ready to eat.
- Combine the blue cheese and yogurt in a small dish. Use the back of a spoon to mash it into a smooth paste. To serve, spread cut rolls with blue cheese spread. Top with meatballs. Spoon on additional sauce from bottom of slow cooker, as desired.
This was a great dinner, even though I didn't make it exactly as stated in the recipe. I wanted to use the ground chicken I got on sale - and I had some Frank's hot sauce in the fridge, however we didn't have any rolls, so we just piled our meatballs on bread and topped with the blue cheese and had meatball sandwiches instead of subs -- served with chips. Great meal! Thanks for sharing!