Recipe by barefootmommawv
A traditional Mexican dish gets kicked up North -- Rachael Ray
Top Review by IngridH
I made this for dinner last night. It was okay, but could be very good with some changes. I used Frank's brand wing sauce, which has a great flavor without being insanely hot. I had 1/2 cup, and used all of it. I didn't think it had enough flavor, so I added some chili powder, but it still needed more. I'd add at least another 1/2 cup if I were to make it again. I was really suprised that this was listed as four servings, when it calls for two pounds of meat. I got 14 burritoes from this mix, using 1/2 cup mix and a tablespoon or so of blue cheese in each one, so I'd call it at least 7 servings. Visually, this wasn't very appealing- as it was just the white of the tortillas and the mostly white of the cheese. I'd like to see it drizzled with a little wing sauce, then topped with the cheese for both more flavor and more color. This was an interesting recipe to try, but I won't make it again as posted.
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs ground all-white meat chicken breasts
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 5 large garlic cloves, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock (eyeball it)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup hot sauce, depending on how hot you like it
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup about handful cilantro leaf, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb grated manchego cheese or 3⁄4 lb crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 2 avocados, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250°F
- Wrap the flour tortillas in a damp kitchen towel and place in the low oven until they warm through and become pliable.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat; add 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon, and the butter. Once the butter has melted and the pot is hot, add the ground chicken. Cook until brown, about 5-6 minutes, using the back of a wooden spoon to break the meat up into small pieces.
- Add the carrot, onion, celery, garlic and some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the hot sauce, black beans and the cilantro. Stir to combine and cook until the beans are heated through, a minute or two.
- Remove the warm tortillas from the oven, place a few heaping spoonfuls of the buffalo chicken/black bean mixture on the bottom of a tortilla, but don't overfill it.
- Top with some cheese, avocado and tomato. Roll the short end of the tortilla over the filling, fold in the other two sides and then continue to roll it up until you have a tight burrito package. Once you have finish rolling all the burritos, turn the oven up to broil. Place burritos in a shallow backing dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese, place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese.