Recipe by Bay Laurel
I got this from my South Beach Diet Newsletter, Daily Dish. This is a traditional game-watching favorite to help you stick to your healthy eating plan. These Buffalo Chicken Bites can be prepared ahead of time, so you won’t have to miss a touchdown — or a good commercial! Super yummy and healthy. Enjoy
Top Review by mums the word
First, I have to say that I didn't use the blue cheese dip portion of the recipe so this rating is based on the chicken itself. I did the chicken in two batches, one as written in the recipe, and the second adding about 3 Tbsp whole wheat flour which I seasoned with garlic salt and pepper then shook the chicken in it before sauteeing. Both versions are good, but the family preferred the batch with the flour coating. Adding the flour makes this Phase 2, I believe. Thanks for posting this, we thought it was great.
- 3 tablespoons trans-fat-free margarine
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 24 (1-inch)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 24 (1-inch)
- blue cheese dipping sauce (see directions below)
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine in a medium nonstick saucepan. Whisk in hot pepper sauce and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until slightly thickened; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, add to pan, and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Add margarine mixture to pan and gently toss chicken until well coated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and skewer each cube with a toothpick. Skewer 1 piece of celery at the base of each. Arrange on a platter and serve with dip.
- Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce.
- Mash blue cheese in a medium bowl, leaving some small lumps. Whisk in the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, vinegar, and hot pepper sauce to taste. Transfer to a small bowl and serve with the chicken.