Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These buffalo meat burgers have great spicy flavor. They come out really moist--as long as you don't compress the patties too much. I like mine with cheese, so I just add a slice during the last couple of minutes on the grill. This recipe is from a Weber grilling cookbook.
- 1 lb ground buffalo meat (freshly ground)
- 1 yellow onion, cut into four 1/3-inch-thick slices
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 hamburger buns
For the Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
For the Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon canned chipotle chile, minced (or more if you love spice)
- FOR THE MEAT PATTIES: In a small bowl, combine the seasoning ingredients.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the buffalo meat and gently distribute the spices throughout with your fingers.
- Gently shape the meat into four patties, about 3/4 inch thick each.
- I like to put the patties in the freezer for a few minutes to firm them up so they don't fall apart on the grill.
- FOR THE CHIPOTLE MAYONNAISE: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and chile peppers.
- Lightly brush or spray the onion slices on both sides with the olive oil and grill over direct medium heat until tender and well marked, about 8 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking time.
- Grill the buffalo patties over direct medium heat until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F for medium, 7-9 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- Spread the inside of the hamburger buns with the chipotle mayonnaise. Place the buffalo patties on the buns and top with the grilled onions. Serve immediately.