Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
I just recently discovered ground buffalo and it makes delicious hamburgers! It's a leaner meat and has a unique & tasty flavor. These are a joint effort by my husband and I - I prepare the patties, he grills them to perfection.
- 1⁄2 lb ground buffalo meat (any ground meat will do, we prefer the flavor of buffalo)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (I prefer garlic & herb breadcrumbs)
- 1⁄4 onion, chopped
- 2 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 hamburger buns
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- tomatoes, sliced
- In a medium bowl mix the buffalo, egg, breadcrumbs, onions, mushrooms and garlic. Mix until well blended ( I have found the easiest way to mix is with my hands - it pays to get a little messy!).
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon pepper.
- Form into hamburger patties. Make the patties thick - almost in the shape of a meatball. The thicker they are the juicier the burger will be.
- Cook on the grill for 8 minutes on each side. We usually soak hickory/mesquite chips and put those on the grill before the burgers for a nice smoked flavor (we use a charcoal grill). You want to be careful to not overcook these as the buffalo can dry out quickly.
- Place cheddar cheese on burgers when there is 1 minute left.
- Put on buns and top with your favorite toppings - tomato, pickles, lettuce, mustard, ketchup.
- Enjoy the unique flavor of buffalo.
This was an excellent recipe for ground buffalo. I was out of lemon pepper, but I used everything else, as directed. The burgers were moist and very tasty. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
This was a very good recipe, made exactly as posted. Thank you for sharing!!
These were very moist & filling - couldn't finish a whole one - there is a distinct southwestern flavor to these.