Recipe by Bergy
This is an authentic Native Canadian recipe. You can make the soup in advance but then remove the cooked berries and add fresh ones just before serving.
Top Review by yogiclarebear
This was so interesting I had to try it. My husband really loved it. I was wary of the pepper, but he thought the berry sweetness balanced it out perfectly. I used blueberries.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs buffalo steaks, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 1⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup blackberry (use blueberries,or saskatoons if they are more readily available)
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- 3 teaspoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the bacon drippings (veggie oil) in a heavy saucepan and brown the buffalo meat.
- Add stock, green onions, berries, salt, pepper& honey, Simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
- Mix flour with six tbsp of the soup& add it to the soup to thicken the soup slightly.