Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A wonderful sandwich for a crowd. Recipe comes from the living section of my local newspaper.
- 1 loaf challah, rich bread or 1 loaf other soft rich bread
- 8 ounces brie cheese, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 bunch fresh basil, trimmed, leaves only
- 20 -30 slices of oven-roasted tomatoes or 20 -30 slices sun-dried tomatoes
- Split the bread in half lengthwise and place a layer of brie on top of the bottom half of the loaf.
- Top with a layer of tomatoes and fresh basil.
- Replace the top layer of bread and brush with butter.
- Press the sandwich into a panini grill and grill until toasted.
- Cut into serving pieces, can be served hot or cold.
This was delish. I used Guatemalan Challah for the bread, and it went very well with this. The chewy sweet raisins in the bread complemented the chewy sun dried tomatoes, and gooey goodness of the brie, and the bite of the basil . . . oh, this was GOOD. :) I don't have a panini press, so I cut mine in half (so it would fit in my big non-stick skillet) and fried it with my heaviest pan on top to flatten it. Perfect! Thank you for posting, made for ZWT4.
Great sandwich. I used peppered brie. I'll use any excuse to cook with brie. I totally misread the instructions and used fresh tomato slices, but they were wonderful!! I'll try again as written, but I cannot imagine it being any better. For ZWT.