1/3 Photos of Bud's " Distract the Neighbors " Grilled Chicken
3 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 5 mins
"This is a delightful, simple dish that will fill the neighborhood with a gorgeous scent". Both outdoor grilling and pan grilling directions are given in the directions. Serve with your favorite grilled chicken sides or if you want to maintain the Middle Eastern theme serve with tabbouleh, baba ghanouj, yogurt dip, Arabic bread, etc. as a suggestion. We enjoyed the chicken with these sides: yogurt dip consisting of cucumbers, rose water, salt and mint; Bud's Special Rice for Special Company, and fresh steamed plain green beans. From the book The Language of Baklava (page 79) by Diana Abu-Jaber.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g skinless chicken pieces (For stove top grilling, I used thighs which were first pounded to 1/4-inch thickness)
- lemon wedge
- fresh rosemary sprig, for garnish
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 14.78 ml brown sugar
- 3 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped (fresh from our garden!)
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (Don't add too much or the cumin will easily overpower the other flavors.)
- 2.46 ml cayenne powder
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Tip: I first rubbed the rosemary leaves in a pestle and mortar to release the oil and flavor. In a large non-reactive bowl (I used a gallon size "Ziploc" bag instead), combine the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and stir to coat them on all sides.
- 2Note: if you choose to cook the chicken on an outdoor grill, you don't have to pound the pieces first unless you want. Alternatively, the chicken pieces can be cut smaller and threaded on skewers to make shish kabobs.
- 3Cover well and refrigerate for a *minimum* of 3 hours. I marinated the chicken for a solid 6 hours but overnight will work, too. Turn the chicken pieces occasionally.
- 4To OUTDOOR GRILL: Place the chicken parts on the grill. Grill over hot charcoals for 10-15 minutes, turning frequently and basting with the marinade.
- 5To STOVE TOP GRILL: Heat the pan on medium-high heat. Place the chicken on the grill pan and cook on each side about five minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- 6Transfer to a platter and garnish with lemon wedges and fresh sprigs of rosemary.
- 7Prep time includes 3 hours required (minimum) for marinating the chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bud's " Distract the Neighbors " Grilled Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.9
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 68.9 mg
- Sodium 77.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 21.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: