Recipe by COOKGIRl
"This is a delightful, simple dish that will fill the neighborhood with a gorgeous scent". Both outdoor grilling and pan grilling directions are given in the directions. Serve with your favorite grilled chicken sides or if you want to maintain the Middle Eastern theme serve with tabbouleh, baba ghanouj, yogurt dip, Arabic bread, etc. as a suggestion. We enjoyed the chicken with these sides: yogurt dip consisting of cucumbers, rose water, salt and mint; Bud's Special Rice for Special Company, and fresh steamed plain green beans. From the book The Language of Baklava (page 79) by Diana Abu-Jaber.
Top Review by AcadiaTwo
Wow! This chicken was moist and had great flavor. My rosemary in the garden was looking a bit dried up so I used some dry rosemary too. My DH grilled 4 marinated chicken thighs on nonstick foil on our gas grill to reduce flare ups. The flavor was superb, and I will be making this again! Made for NAME tag.
- 907.18 g skinless chicken pieces (For stove top grilling, I used thighs which were first pounded to 1/4-inch thickness)
- lemon wedge
- fresh rosemary sprig, for garnish
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 14.78 ml brown sugar
- 3 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped (fresh from our garden!)
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (Don't add too much or the cumin will easily overpower the other flavors.)
- 2.46 ml cayenne powder
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Tip: I first rubbed the rosemary leaves in a pestle and mortar to release the oil and flavor. In a large non-reactive bowl (I used a gallon size "Ziploc" bag instead), combine the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and stir to coat them on all sides.
- Note: if you choose to cook the chicken on an outdoor grill, you don't have to pound the pieces first unless you want. Alternatively, the chicken pieces can be cut smaller and threaded on skewers to make shish kabobs.
- Cover well and refrigerate for a *minimum* of 3 hours. I marinated the chicken for a solid 6 hours but overnight will work, too. Turn the chicken pieces occasionally.
- To OUTDOOR GRILL: Place the chicken parts on the grill. Grill over hot charcoals for 10-15 minutes, turning frequently and basting with the marinade.
- To STOVE TOP GRILL: Heat the pan on medium-high heat. Place the chicken on the grill pan and cook on each side about five minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- Transfer to a platter and garnish with lemon wedges and fresh sprigs of rosemary.
- Prep time includes 3 hours required (minimum) for marinating the chicken.