Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted for RecipeZaar World Tour 2006, this is a recipe adapted from the small community cookbook from Dixon House on the West Coast, South Island of New Zealand, now sadly out of print. Cook time and serving sizes were not mentioned so are guestimates.
- 1⁄2 cup pea flour
- 1⁄4 cup flour, plain
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 leaves silver beet (large leaves, well washed and finely cut this is also known as Chard)
- water, to mix
- oil (for frying)
- Mix all ingredients except the silver beet with a little water until you have a medium thick batter.
- Add the well drained silver beet and fry in spoonfuls in hot oil until cooked.
- Drain on paper towel and serve with curries as a side dish or as a snack.
- Note:Bok Choy could also be used as a substitute for silver beet.
- PLEASE NOTE: the Zaar database seems to want to make Silver Beet into 'beets' and this recipe is NOT for "BEETS" so my apologies if you got this recipe while looking for a Beet/beetroot recipe.
Had these with a lovely green mango chutney relish and they were great. However if you make these plan to serve these hot or warm as they didn't taste all that great once they had cooled and were a little greasy. Will make again.