This is truly gourmet and amazing ... grilled individual rolls, flavorful steak in a "you can't believe how easy" marinade. Gooey cheese, roasted tomatoes, arugula aioli and wonderful carmelized onions. All on a budget but worth serving for a dinner party. Just a little planning and a little thinking ahead makes this very easy to put together. Now I get the small chibatta rolls just from my grocer but any small hoagie or individual good roll, just not the round dinner rolls, something more substantial. But don't think you have to get a specific roll. Get what you enjoy eating. Get what you can afford and what is available at the time. Serve with some oven potato fries, a spicy ketchup and maybe a simple cucumber salad or a simple coleslaw. Make this easy and quick. Add some apple and nuts to store bought coleslaw with a twist on the sauce and you can have a new slaw which is just a little different a fun. Also add walnuts, blue cheese and pears for a great simple twist to a classic slaw as well. NOTE: Get skirt steak when on sale ... mayo, store brand is ok but not Miracle whip, arugula you can get a small amount from the local market if available...tomatoes I like heirlooms, but a good beefsteak or good ripe tomato is just fine, don't stress over that, and ... cheese, rather than buying a package or block, just go to your deli and ask for 16 slices of swiss. So much cheaper and none to waste or just sit in your fridge. Asking your meat, seafood, deli and vegetable department is a great use of their services. My stores are always willing to help, And it saves a "bunch" of money in the long run. Just ask.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g skirt steak
- 14.78 ml good seasons garlic herb dried seasoning (or herb seasoning)
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 9.85 ml red wine vinegar
- 236.59 ml mayonnaise
- 473.18 ml arugula
- 4.92 ml garlic, minced
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 2.46 ml lemon juice
- 1Marinade the steak -- add the package of good seasonings mix to a large baggie with the olive oil and vinegar and shake to combine. Add the steak and seal and refrigerate at least 4 hours up to 8. I don't like packaged mixes much, but -- this is an exception. I really like it and it is easy and works great. Remember this is all about a easy dinner on a budget.
- 2Toppings -- when you get home roast or grill (which is my preference) the tomatoes and onions. Just toss with olive oil, red pepper, salt and pepper and grill or roast in the oven at 425 on a cookie sheet lined with foil or you can also use a grill pan. Either one works. Just grill until the tomatoes or brown or lightly soft and the same with the onions. Just set to the side. They do not have to be served hot.
- 3Make the aioli -- Add the arugula, mayo and lemon to a food processor and mix until well combined. Done, just chill. This can be done a day ahead.
- 4Steak -- Steak is done marinating, just grill or pan fry or any method you prefer. I like this grilled. Just 4-5 minutes per side on high heat to get a nice crust and then flip. Another 3-4 minutes and remove. Should be medium rare. Remove and set to the side and cover with foil to let rest.
- 5Rolls -- Just cut in half and toast in the oven or on the grill until slightly brown on the cut side. No oil needed. Just toast until golden.
- 6Put the sandwiches together. Layer each side of the roll with the mayo, then one side with cheese, then sliced steak. Cut the steak on the bias always, then some of the onions, a couple of tomato slices, another slice of cheese and the top roll also smathered with the aioli mixture.
- 7Wrap in foil and bake 10 minutes at 400. Enjoy! The absolute steak sandwich.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Budget Steak Sandwich With Roasted Tomatoes & Arugula Aioli
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 677.4
- Calories from Fat 464
- Total Fat 51.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 82.1 mg
- Sodium 1168.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 32.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: