Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a basic dressing recipe that you can use to make many delicious salads with. Very easy to have made up ahead of time. You can have your greens and veggies washed ahead of time. Just keep in a Zip Lock bag to keep them fresh.
- 1 1⁄3 cups canola oil
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- your favorite salad greens
- Put ingredients (except lettuce) in a 1-quart jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cover, shake to mix and refrigerate.
- Shake well before using.
- Use all variations below to make your Budget Salad Supper.
- Just serve over your favorite combination of crisp lettuce.
- My favorite is Romaine lettuce.
- BACON AND EGG: Whisk: 1/4 cup Basic Dressing, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons ketchup.
- Add: 4 strips crumbled cooked bacon, 4 sliced hard-cooked eggs.
- Toss with: 1 1/2 cups chopped celery, 1 cup sliced radishes, and 1/2 cup sliced onion.
- WAGON TRAIN BEAN: Whisk: 1/2 cup Basic Dressing, 2 tablespoons bottled barbecue sauce, 1 teaspoon ground cumin.
- Add: 1 can baked beans.
- Toss with: 1 pt Cherry tomatoes, halved, 1 can (15oz.) corn, drained, 1 1/2 cups chopped raw zucchini, 1/2 cup chopped onion.
- VEGETABLE GARDEN: Whisk: 1/4 cup Basic Dressing, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup chopped dill pickle.
- Add: 2 cups thawed frozen green peas, 4 oz.
- Cheddar cheese, shredded.
- Toss with: 3 cups blanched broccoli florets, 1 cup shredded carrots, and 1/2 cup chopped red onion.
- SESAME CHICKEN: Whisk: 1/2 cup Basic Dressing, 2 tablespoons light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon dark Oriental sesame oil.
- Add: 2 cups shredded cooked chicken.
- Toss with: 4 cups shredded red cabbage, 2 cups sliced cucumber, and 1/2 cup sliced scallions.
- TUSCAN TUNA AND BEAN: Whisk: 1/3 cup Basic Dressing, 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, parsley, and freshly ground pepper.
- Add: 1 can (6oz) tuna, drained, 1 can (15 oz.) white kidney beans, rinsed.
- Toss with: 3 cups tomato chunks, 1 1/2 cups bell pepper strips, 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion.
I have been looking for a recipe like this, luvmygbe. And I especially liked all the ideas/variety you give at the end of the instructions. The sesame chicken is one I have been looking for. Thanks!!