Recipe by NoeleenCleary
Placing here for safekeeping. Prep time is for making the pantry mix. Cooking time is for making dinner servings.
Top Review by Amber W
After opening the two boxes of the real stuff and finding them infested with some kind of critter I was so excited to find this recipe! I had tri-colored orzo on hand so I used that and basimati rice. Thank you thank you for the recipe.
rice and vermicelli mix
- 5 cups white rice (not instant)
- 5 cups vermicelli (pasta, broken into 3/4 - 1 inch pieces approximately)
- 1⁄2 cup dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dried parsley
To make 4-6 Servings (1 cup mix plus)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups broth (your choice of flavors. Homemade preferred for salt content and best flavor)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large airtight container combine rice, vermicelli, onion flakes and parsley. Store in the pantry to use as needed.
- To make 4-6 Servings:.
- In a large skillet with a tight fitting lid melt 2 tablespoons Butter.
- Add 1 cup of the rice/vermicelli mixture and saute over medium-high heat until vermicelli is browned. Increase heat to high and immediately add broth and water. Bring to boil. (Note: You can also heat broth and water to a boil before adding to rice/vermicelli mixture if desired.)
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Do not lift lid.
- Remove from heat. Fluff with fork. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.