Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Placing here for safekeeping. Prep time is for making the pantry mix. Cooking time is for making dinner servings.
rice and vermicelli mix
- 5 cups white rice (not instant)
- 5 cups vermicelli (pasta, broken into 3/4 - 1 inch pieces approximately)
- 1⁄2 cup dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dried parsley
To make 4-6 Servings (1 cup mix plus)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups broth (your choice of flavors. Homemade preferred for salt content and best flavor)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large airtight container combine rice, vermicelli, onion flakes and parsley. Store in the pantry to use as needed.
- To make 4-6 Servings:.
- In a large skillet with a tight fitting lid melt 2 tablespoons Butter.
- Add 1 cup of the rice/vermicelli mixture and saute over medium-high heat until vermicelli is browned. Increase heat to high and immediately add broth and water. Bring to boil. (Note: You can also heat broth and water to a boil before adding to rice/vermicelli mixture if desired.)
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Do not lift lid.
- Remove from heat. Fluff with fork. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
After opening the two boxes of the real stuff and finding them infested with some kind of critter I was so excited to find this recipe! I had tri-colored orzo on hand so I used that and basimati rice. Thank you thank you for the recipe.
Great stuff! Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet, as I've been using this recipe for a while now. I love rice-a-roni but can't have the pkg'd stuff because of the MSG, so this is perfect! Now I can have it whenever I want! It's very versatile, I have even done it up as spanish rice-a-roni using canned diced tomatoes and taco seasoning. mmmmm.... Thanks!