Recipe by jennifer in new jersey
Made this tonight for my 3 yr old daughter and myself. Pretty inexpensive to make, easy, and taste was very good to us. I figured total cost for this meal was less than eleven dollars for what we had to buy. Probably cheaper if you get non-organic meat and a cheaper sauce. (we had the spices already) It was enough for 3-4 people. Subs can be made using fresh garlic and adding a splash of dry red wine. NOTE: we used paul newman tomato and basil spaghetti sauce but the computer would only recognize how it's listed below. I have not tried it with other sauces. This is just listed as exactly how we made it. Hope it works for you.
- 2 lbs organic ground turkey
- 1 (16 ounce) jarpaul newman spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 six inch hoagie rolls or 3 sandwich buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Place turkey, Sauce, Salt and Pepper, 1TB olive oil and 1Tsp garlic powder in large sauce pot and bring to simmer.
- Be sure to break up meat depending on your preference; large chunks of meat or fine chunks.
- Lower heat and keep to a slow simmer for about 3 hours.
- When sauce is about done, open each sandwich roll but dont separate the tops and bottoms as it will help hold sandwich fillings in better.
- Spread the 2 TB olive oil and the 2 Tsp garlic powder over the rolls as if making a garlic bread, and bake at 375 for about 10 minutes to get rolls toasted.
- Then broil the rolls for about 3-5 minutes to get tops golden brown.
- Fill each roll with the meat/sauce filling and enjoy. May be topped with good shaved parm cheese.