Recipe by puppitypup
With the ever increasing price of store-bought cereal, I decided it was time to come up with a homemade one. You may want to add nuts or dried fruits also. Store it in an airtight container. (I keep it in the cardboard oats canister in a zip-tied bag.)
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this one pretty much as written since I'm ALWAYS willing to add nuts & dried fruit (especially raisins &/or cranberries) just before I eat it! It's so easy to make this great-tasting cereal! However, since we do like sweets, I did take the hint from JoyfulCooking & added a 1/4 cup of brown sugar (then didn't add anymore when we actually put it in a bowl to eat)! Most definitely a keeper recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 4 cups old fashioned oats, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt (less if regular salt)
- butter-flavor Pam cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and spray 10x15 jelly roll pan with butter-flavor Pam. (I also spray both bowls and the spatula I use to mix the cereal, then nothing sticks and clean up is easy.).
- In a small bowl, mix together oil, syrup, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Pour over oats in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Spread evenly in the pan, and bake for 10 minutes, stir and bake 9 more minutes. (If you use a dark pan, shorten cooking time by 1 or 2 minutes.).