Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/08/summer-vegetable-tian/ Budget Bytes is a website where the author creates, prepares and then photographs her recipes, all made for a cost of under $10 (in USA at least). She includes beautiful pictures and step by step instructions, the link the this recipe is above. I am adopting it to share the love, but I do encourage you to check out her website for MANY more amazing ideas. This recipe should be approx $6.60 to make, cheaper if you already have items or they are on special.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 medium potato
- 1 medium tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- to taste salt & pepper
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic. Saute both in a skillet with olive oil until softened (about five minutes).
- While the onion and garlic are sauteing, thinly slice the rest of the vegetables.
- Spray the inside of an 8×8 square or round baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread the softened onion and garlic in the bottom of the dish. Place the thinly sliced vegetables in the baking dish vertically, in an alternating pattern. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, top with cheese and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.