I found this while Christmas shopping, and really wanted to try it. I love Buddy Valastro's show and trust his true Italian heritage to whip up an amazing lasagna. I'll be trying this recipe soon!
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) canitalian whole canned tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, finely chopped, juices reserved
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 lbs fresh ricotta
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup set aside
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded, 1/2 cup set aside
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 lb lasagna noodle
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil, add the beef, pork, veal and sausage (without casing) and cook until browned.
- Add garlic and oregano and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook until the meat is coated.
- Add tomatoes with their juices and the tomato puree, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened about 1 1/2 hours.
- In large bowl, combine the ricotta with the parsley, basil, 1 cup of the Parmesan, 1 pound of the shredded mozzarella and beaten eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
- The instructions suggested cooking the dry, curly-ridged lasagna noodles 3 minutes in abundant salted water, drained, rinsed -- I say use fresh, no-cook or even the curly edged pasta, and forget about the pre-cooking. I guarantee the sauce will cook the noodles after 45 minutes of cooking time. This also makes life much easier.
- Lasagna Time:.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Spread 1.5 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Line the dish with overlapping noodles.
- Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the noodles, sprinkle with a little Parmesan and shredded mozzarella then top with 1 1/2 cups of the sauce and another layer of noodles.
- Repeat the layering 2 more times. Top with noodles and cover with 1 1/2 cups of sauce (may want to use extra if using uncooked noodles to ensure the noodles are covered and cook evenly. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over the lasagna.
- Cover Lasagna with foil and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Uncover then cook for 30-45 minutes more or until the top is golden and crisp around the edges and the filling is bubbling.
- Let the lasagna rest for 20 minutes before serving.