Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found this while Christmas shopping, and really wanted to try it. I love Buddy Valastro's show and trust his true Italian heritage to whip up an amazing lasagna. I'll be trying this recipe soon!
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) canitalian whole canned tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, finely chopped, juices reserved
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 lbs fresh ricotta
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup set aside
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded, 1/2 cup set aside
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 lb lasagna noodle
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil, add the beef, pork, veal and sausage (without casing) and cook until browned.
- Add garlic and oregano and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook until the meat is coated.
- Add tomatoes with their juices and the tomato puree, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened about 1 1/2 hours.
- In large bowl, combine the ricotta with the parsley, basil, 1 cup of the Parmesan, 1 pound of the shredded mozzarella and beaten eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
- The instructions suggested cooking the dry, curly-ridged lasagna noodles 3 minutes in abundant salted water, drained, rinsed -- I say use fresh, no-cook or even the curly edged pasta, and forget about the pre-cooking. I guarantee the sauce will cook the noodles after 45 minutes of cooking time. This also makes life much easier.
- Lasagna Time:.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Spread 1.5 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Line the dish with overlapping noodles.
- Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the noodles, sprinkle with a little Parmesan and shredded mozzarella then top with 1 1/2 cups of the sauce and another layer of noodles.
- Repeat the layering 2 more times. Top with noodles and cover with 1 1/2 cups of sauce (may want to use extra if using uncooked noodles to ensure the noodles are covered and cook evenly. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over the lasagna.
- Cover Lasagna with foil and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Uncover then cook for 30-45 minutes more or until the top is golden and crisp around the edges and the filling is bubbling.
- Let the lasagna rest for 20 minutes before serving.
I will tell everyone that this is the best Lasagna I have ever tasted it may cost a little more than all the other lasagna but by far it is the best.
This is the Best Lasagna ever!!! The Hot Sausage and cheese mixture makes all the difference in this lasagna - Thank you Grandma Madeline for sharing!!
was FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will def make this again, I just didn't use ricotta as my kids don't like it, used cottage cheese instead. ;)