Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This makes a nice base for meat sauce, pink sauce, or clam sauce. Vincent "Buddy" Cianci is the former mayor of Providence, R.I. He is credited with the revitalization of Downtown Providence and Federal Hill (Italian neighborhood of R.I.). He is also known for his criminal activity. He was convicted of racketeering in 2002 and was sentenced to 6 years in prison. His marinara sauce is sold all over R.I. and the proceeds from sales goes to a scholarship fund that has helped more than a hundred Providence students go to college.
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 large red onions, chopped
- 10 lbs plum tomatoes, blanched (can tomatoes may be substituted in a pinch)
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, saute garlic in the olive oil just until tender.
- Add onions and saute until they are translucent.
- Process the tomatoes through a food mill and add to onion mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Lower heat and simmer for 2-6 hours or until thickened.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Will cover 2 lbs. pasta.