Recipe by mersaydees
Based on a recipe from Terry Durack’s book, Noodle. This is a bit of work because of all the vegetable-chopping, but is well worth the effort, as I think this is fantastic! The recipe intro says, “In China, Buddhist monks go to extreme lengths to create vegetarian food that looks, smells, and even tastes like fish or meat. For me, however, the most successful vegetable dishes in the Chinese repertoire are those that look like vegetables. This is based on a classic Buddhist vegetarian dish that manages to satisfy both aesthetically and gastronomically.”
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
This is so easy and so good. I added extra veggies and used fresh mushrooms and added lots of broccoli too. I also added a little chili garlic sauce for a little heat and instead of salt, I added a chicken cube. Definitely a keeper for us. Thanks for the recipe.
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided plus 1 teaspoon extra for tossing
- 1 small onion, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 slices ginger, finely chopped
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 1 hour and sliced (reserve soaking water)
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce (yes, it does exist)
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded (Tientsin, although I used Napa)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons bamboo shoots, cut into matchsticks
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts, rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 tablespoon shaohsing rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 10 ounces fresh Chinese egg noodles
- 2 green onions, green part only, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil in a preheated wok and stir-fry onion until translucent. Toss in garlic, ginger, and mushrooms and stir-fry for another minute. Add oyster sauce and 2 tablespoons soy sauce and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove wok contents to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in the hot wok and stir-fry cabbage, bell peppers, bamboo shoots, and carrot for 3 minutes. Toss in bean sprouts, sugar, ¼ cup reserved mushroom water, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add onion and mushroom mixture, rice wine, and sesame oil and stir to combine well.
- Cook noodles in plenty of water at a rolling boil for about a minute. Drain thoroughly, rinse under cold running water, and drain again. Toss noodles with remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce and remaining 1 teaspoon peanut oil.
- To serve, place noodles on a large warmed serving platter, spoon vegetable mixture on top, and mix lightly. Garnish with green onions sprinkled over the top.