Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Philippine dessert. Buco is the tender young coconut meat that can be scraped from the inside of the coconut shell with a spoon. We were able to taste buco in the Philippines, along with the liquid from the coconut (coconut water). Together they are used in this recipe, which I am posting in reply to a request. The recipe is from The Complete Guide to Baking, The Best of the Maya Kitchen, Maya Kitchen Culinary Arts Center, Makati City, 1991. You will need two to three young coconuts for the 2 cups buco.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put the 1/4 cup water and cornstarch into a saucepan and mix with a spoon to combine.
- Stir in the coconut water and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium to low heat until thick.
- Add the shredded buco and vanilla and cook 3 more minutes.
- Cool buco mixture slightly and put into piepan that has been lined with bottom pie crust.
- Top with upper pie crust, seal edges and flute decoratively.
- Brush with slightly beaten egg white to glaze (some will be left over- do not use more than necessary), and make a few cuts in the top crust to let steam escape.
- Bake at 375 degrees 25 to 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
I had some frozen buco (helpfully labeled buco and young coconut) from our asian market and had no idea what to do with it. For NYE I whipped up this pie and it turned out wonderfully. The delicate coconut flavor is not overly sweet. I used canned coconut milk since we were using frozen buco. My boyfriend hates all things coconut and he liked this pie (high praise for him!). I'm not a fan of pie crust and may try it without the top crust next time and do some sort of creamy topping.
I admit, I made a few quick changes. Used coconut milk plus water to equal 2 cups. I added 1/4 tsp. salt, and a few dashes nutmeg also. And....used good old flaked coconut. Gorgeous, wonderful, and delicious! I'll make it over and over. Next time I may add a bit of toasted coconut. Hummm.....
ABSULUTELY GREAT!!!wow i never baked my own coconut pie eversince.when i saw this recipe i really wanted to make this pie coz its simple and easy.i had lots of coconut pie recipe and this pushes me to make one.mine turn out to be yummy with a perfect crust pie that i took from this site my bro who is soo picky with foods loved it!!!though mine didnt set up coz i put more than 3 c of coconut water.but in totality,WOW!!!this is really deliciously,heavenly good!!