Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Healthy, vegan and yummy.
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk together soy milk and vinegar, set aside for a minute.
- Beat together soy milk mixture, oil, sugar and extracts.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and milk until no lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners two thirds of the way up and bake for 20-22 minutes.
I made these today and was pretty happy with the result. I added a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter. After baking them, I noticed the tops were a little caved in...but topped them with creamed honey from Trader Joe's and some crystalized ginger....yum!!!
They really taste like cupcakes! Lovely, fine texture. Great recipe. They were quite sweet I thought (though that may have had something to do with me not having enough white sugar, so I used 1/4 cup white sugar & 1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar). I also didn't have soymilk, so I used 1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt & 1/2 cup rice milk. And, I didn't have cornstarch so I used 1 Tbl arrowroot starch & 1 Tbl tapioca starch. I think even with white sugar, I'll try reducing the amount, and maybe adding shredded carrots.